Thursday, March 24, 2011

USBC Nationals - Day Three


Day 3 started with our arrival in Denver. That place has changed. They now have a new AMTRAK building near the old Union Station. But after getting off for a leg stretch, I saw that this new setup is just an accident waiting to happen. The new building is on the other side of the street. To get from the building to the train, you have to walk 150 feet and cross a 4 lane road. Even today about 50 people got on and the end of the line while they were waiting stuck out into the road. The last guy almost got hit when the light changed and the car took off. Who ever thought of this design needs to get their smarts checked out. Of course we had snow flurries but I don't care because it is warm in the train. The climb through the mountains was beautiful but there is definitely more commercial building going on. Especially at WinterPark and Glenwood Springs. Saw a lot of wildlife including some "Wapiti" and there were also 3 moose in Frazer Canyon. Lunch was nice. I ate with 3 widowers heading for a retreat in Moab UT. It was fun because they all had hearing aids and trouble hearing. Everything I or they said was followed by ... "say it again, I missed what you were saying." Laughs a minute.

God must have something out for me this trip. Every stop someone of the same sex persuasion gets on and call all their friends. They only know one voice ... loud. At one point about 10:40 at night, I had enough and asked the young man to take his phone to the observation car. Of course, he asked me if "I was going to be rude all night." I replied, "I am sorry but your discussion of your and your life-mates adventures with a horse are over the top. Beside, it was quiet hour." He finally moved after some other Lady nearby called the Conductor. I tolerate a lot but sometimes I balk at TMI. I did laugh out loud when he told his friend on the phone that "he was volunteering in San Fransisco with the Health Department Exposition to provide STD counseling and information and then asked his friend if it was too much to dream he would meet the man of his dreams." Just where you want to meet someone ... at a STD meeting. Anyways, I hope things calm down a bit and everyone returns to normal.

Dinner was filled with talk of bowling and flying. Three guys from Michigan were also heading to Reno to bowl.

Great news ... the rail track across the Sierra Nevada's is snowed over and rock and mud are mixed into the mess. The plan now is to put me on a bus to Reno when we get to Winnemuca UT. The train will detour to another track to get to Sacramento. This really mucks the plans up. They don't know how Sunday will work when I try and return home. I guess flexibility is the game plan.

1 comment:

MoabUtah said...

Do you have any photographs of your train excursion? Have always wanted to see those sights and what the train inside is like. Do Well. I had a cousin from Michigan who was a competitive bowler.