Thursday, March 24, 2011

USBC Nationals - Day One


Day One of the great Annual adventure to Reno Nevada is finally here. After waiting a whole year my vacation begins. I am traveling alone this year but not from the lack of inviting select people to go. The day started with a session of packing. hat should of been a routine start to the trip wasn't. It seems a curious three year old really made it interesting. As fast as I folded and packed, he would pull it out and ask "what is this?" I would tell him and he would grab something else and ask the same question. A few times he would grab something from the drawer and toss it into the suitcase. But despite his best effort I managed to get packed. After a few more errands, I managed to head for Union Station about 11:30. Cheng and I had lunch at Sbarros as usual. I must really be a creature of habit. But, Stromboli and pizza are great preparation for a train ride. They offered me a sleeper upgrade for $699. $699 for one night, can you believe that? Why I wouldn't even pay that for a luxury motel room much less a roomette sleeper. I boarded the train on time and headed west. The train car was full but I managed to get a window seat. No, I did not beat up an old lady and throw her off! Of course, Murphy's Law prevailed and the guy behind me was a flamin man lover. I was so tired of hearing his goodbyes to all his boyfriends. He made no effort to be quiet much less discrete. Finally, he exhausted his little black book and went to sleep. Dinner was great and I enjoyed it with a young couple who were Italian and worked in Holland. What a combination! Dinner was New York strip and Hagen Daz ice cream. The rest of the night was spent watching the stars go by in between spells of sleep.

No comments: