Sunday, December 10, 2006

Baa Humbug

Well, another weekend draws to a close and the Monday Blahs prepare to interject themselves. What started off as a great weekend has managed to end on a crappy note. Bowling went well though it could have been better. A bright spot was the Redskins (Deadskins in disguise) finally losing the game and officially ending their inflated hopes of the playoffs. Now maybe the media will find something else to pump up into the next World Champion.

This week’s schedule:
Tuesday - Choir Practice and Wild Mom's return
Wednesday - My Work's Christmas Party
Saturday - Lady's Work Christmas Party
Sunday - Youth Bowling Awards Party, Church Christmas Play

So you can see it shall be a busy one as we approach Christmas. I hope everyone is making this a "Family" holiday and enjoying every minute of it. Oops, hope I didn’t offend anyone’s sensibilities with the thought of family time.

I wish someone would explain to me where I missed the boat on what a family truly is. If you have the answer please email me. What I see in my mind doesn't match what others around here see it as being like. What I hear does not match what they show in their actions. I almost get a sense that "Family" is just a word to banter around so others think you have something special. Family is being together instead of scheduling the family into little nooks and crannies that happen to be convenient thus keeping the illusion of belonging alive. I want to be together to share the love and the nuances of the season. You know the types of memories I mean. The ones that will be in your mind 25 years from now and still bring a smile to your face and a tear to your eyes. The memories that while you sit there and look at a picture and wonder how they ever got you to pose like that all the time forgetting the gallon of egg nog you swilled as part of the preparation for that picture. As I sit here my mind asks me "why care?" Obviously I missed the memo that changed things around and relegated everyone to being passing ships in the day and night. Speaking of ships, perhaps this is the time to forget my thoughts of a "family time" and book a cruise every year that leaves before Christmas and returns after the New Year. That would solve things because then everyone could do as they like with no obligation to feel anything else during this season of Christmas. The wife and I could then create our own memories to last a lifetime. If not, then the picture album would burst at the seams of the places we searched in a vain effort to find that elusive idea called "family."

I wonder how many more accidents will occur before some knucklehead in the State or City Government does something to stop the carnage at the highway intersection near our house. Tonight, once again for the umpteenth time there was another accident at that intersection. It seems to be a weekly affair that somewhere around that intersection someone innocent gets hurt and possibly even loses their life. I was once told that a certain number of people must die before they take action to fix the problem. Why must even 2 people die ... I was taught that everyone is worth something and their life shouldn't be wasted. If the intersection was designed wrong then fix it, don't kill people just to make it worth your time to fix it. I wonder how quickly they will change their mind when it is someone they love that is injured or killed at that intersection.

No comments: