Tuesday, December 29, 2009

DECEMBER 27, 1975

Sunday was a special day as lady and I celebrated our 34th year together. No, we did not have a party or do something exotic. We did what we liked ... be together and and just let the moment pass into our memories. Who we were 34 years ago is much different than who we are right now but what hasn't changed is our love. In 1975, she was my new wife ... now, she is my best friend. It is had to imagine it any other way. The memories could fill the biggest storage vault and best of all it is in our minds to be replayed with the simplest of effort. Lunch was simple ... MacD's, as the grand kids played on the floor and brought many memories back as we watched. Maybe the gray hair, wrinkles and extra inches exist for us but what I see through these hazy eyes is her love and how much I wish to be right there. Things go slower but that allows for time to savor every bit of the emotion and excitement. Life is always too fast and the special times are quickly pushed aside for the present and what it will do for you. I am thankful that we took the time then to create the memories that flood our thoughts. I couldn't imagine the emptiness if we stood here now having never shared or done the things that two people in love do as they live and grow together. Could we have done better? Yes, but from where I see this ... we have done a lot right to make these memories. Memories you ask? These are some of the special ones.

1. A beautiful woman reciting her vows in front of God, friends and me.
2. Standing there looking at our car on a snow pedestal, wheels inches from the ground, wishing we could start our Honeymoon.
3. The cat running away with our Pork Chop meant for our first meal together.
4. Standing in the living room of our first house, 4 bedrooms, wondering where we would ever find furniture. Our total possessions were outside in the Pinto.
5. Our first move to California, her first time (far) away from home.
6. Picking up bottles to cash in to wash clothes.
7. Driving in the Sierra's just to see snow (lot's of it).
8. Graduation from the University and the realization I would be able to spend time with my wife on weekends.
9. Watching her pin me upon Commissioning. Those little dogs never cooperate.
10. Those Thursday Nights when I was on Alert and eating dinner with her always praying the Klaxon wouldn't sound sending me scurrying to the plane. (It did happen, several times)
11. Coming back from a long B-52 mission to find the candle lit in the window.
12. Standing in a room looking at a 3 month old boy and wondering what our first child would be like. (Tuned out it was him).
13. Standing in a small Hospital Chapel, receiving another small bundle of love and joy.
14. The 3 month camp-out in California waiting for a house.
15. Ronda being named Volunteer of the Year. My wife the best ... well, I already knew that.
16. That long trip back to Virginia that has turned out to be our last move.
17. The rest of the story is known by all our friends and has been playing for 19 years.

How can I say anything but "WOW!" I love my wife and find it inconceivable that life could get any better. Well, except for Christ's Return. But then again, we will both be there. So the memories will never end.

I LOVE YOU ... RONDA

1 comment:

Jessie said...

This is such a beautiful tribute to Mom and the love you both have, I love you guys with all my heart!!!