Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Reflections

Well, after two days I have finally caught up on my email backlog. Next week looks to be a bear of a week. All the new computers I ordered will be here. So, the workload will get nasty as all my projects move forward.

This has been an interesting time for role-play and my mind reels with thoughts and comments. Don’t worry, I won’t expound my thoughts here for I know many people read this that could care less about Blackhawke and Camelot and Dark Towers. I do know those that really care will ask me privately and then I can explain my take on these twists and turns. I find this whole affair interesting because the only communication comes second-hand by email. I remember a time my phone would ring off the hook when there was a problem and we talked. It was amazing how quickly the problem was solved and everything else became clearer. The use of Email allows us to hide and dodge the real problems. It allows you to feint with “I misread your words” when you are caught stretching for the truth or to get the wrong impression if the sender can’t put their thoughts into words. It also has been interesting to see how quickly friendships melt and people take sides without the benefit of any direct communication. Are we only willing to create relationships only in email (words)? Is it just a safe way to pretend we have a bond of friendship? This reminds me of the Citizens Band (CB) craze. People would do so much more on the radio than they ever would in real life. In retrospect, I thought I had more friends and now I am learning the truth. I wish I was wrong because friends are what make life bearable and a joy. Right now it is lonely.

Do you need to worry for me? No, I will just move on and find others who are also seeking to find those relationships that last. The best one is my role-play partner. She is a dream and one tough cookie. She has put up with me for quite a while and not run away. I am willing to admit I am not the easiest to get along with. I border on being a hardhead. But, I do listen, choose the best path given the options and then do what it takes to make it succeed. I don’t try to be the life of the party and hurt no ones feelings. In a group environment where people are exposing their ideas and thoughts, you can’t always have your way. You can't always carry a chip on the shoulder without someone knocking it off. But I know I am speaking to the wall for the email client of the other person is turned off. So I sit and wonder if someone will call and truly communicate like humans beings should.

Solve your problems the old fashion way – talk.

No comments: