Monday, July 11, 2005

Daily Thoughts - VIIIa

Well, I shall try and finish what I started the other day. But first, Hurricane Dennis was definitely there in Pensacola, almost in the same tracks as Ivan, but I am happy to know so far the first words out were that all is well at the parent’s house. More to come.

Well, more has come! The parent’s house didn’t fair so well so I am heading south tomorrow morning to do what I can. Gee, the new roof was only a month old and the missing porch was less than 2 weeks. All the work I did a couple of weeks ago is gone. Guess Mom Nature decided I needed more exercise and sore muscles. Gosh, I love them nature types.

If you wish to see some pictures of the area (Pensacola), here is the url.

http://photos.pensacolanewsjournal.com/index.shtml

I sometimes wonder where we are going. US Highway 50 used to be called Lee Highway after the Civil War general, Robert E. Lee. Well, some people took offense and forced a name change to Fairfax Parkway. Excuse me, but a great number of streets, business’s, schools, and buildings in this area are named after Civil war generals, battles and such. This whole area was the scene of several major Civil War battles. Are we to just forget the whole Civil War? Yes, I don’t like what happened with slavery and the plight of Black Americans. But it happened, so let’s move on and get over it. Obviously, to some this is their way of continuing the war. There are numerous things I don’t like about life but I don’t grouse about the name.

Will we get serious about terrorism any time soon? Right now in my mind we won’t until the worse happens and tens of thousands die. We have a group of people in the name of their religion declared “Jihad” against all Americans. Now I realize “civilized” leaders of Islam have claimed this isn’t entirely true and that they don’t support them. But at the same time they don’t stop them. They use their holy places to hide and protect the jihadist from our troops and police. They hide them and fail to identify them to the local authorities for subsequent arrest. If I in the name of the Catholic Church declared war on Muslims, do you think the Church would aid me much less hide me? I hold no illusions that I would be alone in my efforts. Let’s cut to the chase. Let’s consider this a war and deal with it as such. If we don’t want to hurt those Muslims who call for peace, then they should join us and help eliminate those members of their religion that do want to fight. In any war there are two sides. It seems lately, we have created a new class of beings. That is the class of “Fence Sitters,” people who through their own silence or tacit support allow something to continue that they publicly decry. I know some will call me a hawk but isn’t time we quit letting these terrorists push us and make us wonder when and where the next attack will occur? Also, if the mainstream Islam wants to not stand against them, then they should be ready to fight with them.

No comments: