Friday, April 02, 2010

The Zephyr - Day Nine


Well, most of the snow that was on the ground when we came out West a week ago is melted. How quickly the 12 inches disappeared. I have done the trip enough I am able to name the stops from their looks. The train stops about every 3 hours for a smoke break. The Conductor announces the stop as a chance to stretch and get some fresh air ... smoking is fresh air? The farmers are starting ti turn the soil for the new crops. I watch several tractors when we were stopped waiting on another train. Each row was maybe a mile in length. How do they keep the rows straight? I would doze off and so would my line. I guess that is why God never let me have a successful garden. One realization I have come too is that my yard isn't so bad compared to some of the trash dumps we passed. I just could not live like that. You can tell it is Spring Break, a million kids riding the train. On this train with limited electrical outlets, there must be 100 ipods waiting to be recharged. Forget about getting my cell phone done much less my computer. I think every one of them have a DS and is playing them as hard as they can. The noise is definitely noticeable when the train gets quiet ... even on head sets. Chicago looms ahead and the 4 hour wait for the train ride home ... the final leg. After a lunch at Pizza Hut and dessert at Cinnabon, I am ready for the 14 hour ride to DC. On one side of me is a man from Manchester England ... go United ... and on the other side is a man from Poland heading for South Africa. The conversations are definitely different. The Englishman was comparing what he saw and experienced to that of home and the Polish man spoke of the business opportunities in Mozambique. Mind you, they both were very interesting. Well, time to catnap again ...

No comments: