Friday, April 02, 2010

The Zephyr - Day Eight

Well, I was able to see part a part of Nevada I couldn't see on the trip out because of darkness. I didn't miss anything. There is nothing out there but desert and nothingness. With no cell service for maybe 2 hours at one stretch ... what would a kid do? The bald Eagles are still in the same place roosting. I am amazed how many of them are there, almost a dozen. We went by so quickly it was tough to get an accurate count. Once again, conversation, puzzles and sleep were the staples of the day. I am amazed at how much we are on time. Compared to the last we made this trip, this is great. Apparently, AMTRAK won a lawsuit against the Freight Companies for more equitable track time. Before, when AMTRAK was delayed the penalty paid by the BNSF or Union Pacific wasn't a problem. The Judge changed that and now the penalty is such that it hurts them bad if the train is delayed because of freight. The Lady behind me just got out of the Hospital this morning. The baby is so tiny and when it cried it is more like a squeak. It seems like ancient history to think of #1 and #2 at that size. I think I had hair then and could run 3 miles with relative comfort. Today, I played a game of "What if" as the scenery passed by. I got off the train for a while in Denver. It was nice to walk without swaying or bouncing. Walking on the train is much harder than the Cruise ship. Well, time to catnap again ...

No comments: