Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Zephyr - Day Three

Well, I really enjoyed watching the sunrise from the observation car and drinking coffee in the cool train car. Gee sounds familiar. I am such a creature of habit. Snow, at least 12 inches is on the ground as we pass Fort Morgan Co. heading for Denver. As we go through the mountains just west of Denver we have been stopped several times because the Avalanche detectors have gone off and the Railroad Dispatcher has stopped us until they check it out. The scenery is beautiful especially with the snow. It is wet and heavy and the trees show the effects of the extra weight. Deer, antelope, eagles, rabbits, and turkey abound as we wind through the mountains. I have been using the smoking stops to get outside and walk around. Cool brisk air wakes you up fast. Going past Glenwood Springs, I could see where the rock avalanche from last week had taken out half of Interstate 70. Some pretty good boulders were laying around the damage. We will have a 2 hour delay in Grand Junction for track work ahead of us. Well, I used the delay for good. They had Public WIFI so I was able to check emails and get the first two days posted. I really did not feel like wandering the streets of Grand Junction ... there really wasn't that much out there. We can not leave the station until 6 pm when they finish their days work. I wound up with the late dinner shift tonight (8 pm). Unlike last time they are not showing a movie in the Observation car. Well, time to catnap again ...

No comments: