Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Zephyr - Day One

Well after waiting for a year the journey finally begins. I arrived early to Union Station to allow Cheng the chance to escape DC before rush hour. Unlike Dad's first time there, I didn't get beat up by the Police during an arrest in the men's room. I did visit Sbarros and ate pizza for lunch. I think I have always done that ... nothing like some grease before a long train ride with aircraft sized restrooms. Human nature is the same ... pushing and shoving to get out the waiting room. They still only managed to get to the train car 1 person ahead of me. Hey, you have reserved coach tickets ... you have a seat ... relax. It seems that the seats have been placed farther apart, I can barely reach the foot rest on the seat ahead. One thing new is the power outlet at every seat. That is great, now I wish they had WIFI. I have found the setup if I get that new crackberry on how to use it as a modem. Mafia Wars all the time! My seat mate for this leg of the trip is a young lady who graduates from the University of Illinois as a school teacher. She was very talkative about her student teaching that she just finished. She spend most of the time doing exercises in her Advanced Spanish Grammar book. How much could St. Marks use her for their Spanish classes? The Dining car was redesigned and for the most part for the good. We still get plastic china, a far cry from days gone by, but hey, they work. Dinner was very good. The steak was perfect and very tasty and I even managed to save room for some Hagen Daz vanilla ice cream. Dinner conversation was with a retired school teacher from Detroit. Very interesting was their views on Obama and Education. My Soduku puzzles are getting a work out though my current one is a bear. Having to really think. I really didn't sleep for any time length ... I catnapped for short periods and then moved about watching the scenery. Well, time to catnap again ...

No comments: