Saturday, April 23, 2005

Contemplations

I wonder at times if we have brought on our current woes because we as adults have failed to be the adult we should have been. When children start killing other children perhaps we adults have failed to show them the value of life. When preschoolers go on a rampage tearing things up only to be restrained by police – where have we sunk too? I am sorry the 5-year old had to be restrained, but weren’t they destroying property and acting in an out-of-control manner? It use to be neighbors would talk out differences but now you get a visit by the police investigating a complaint that some paper had blown into their yard. People calling the police not because the dog crapped in their yard but because the owner of the dog picked the pile up in a bag and deposited it in their trash can. I would personally like to thank the dog owners for being so nice and civic-minded.

What is wrong with us people? It is going to get worse as the population grows and we get ever more crowded. We need to start learning to be reasonable and communicating with others not by bullets and lawsuits but by talking and equitably resolving these little issues between us. I am amazed how quickly we have changed from just when I was a child. At this rate, I fear I will die a lonely man in a house that resembles a maximum-security vault to keep others from robbing and killing a defenseless old man.

Home intrusion is another example. Use to be you could leave your doors unlocked and windows open when you stepped out from the house. But now it has escalated to the point they will come during the day whether you are home or not. Perhaps NRA is right, we need to be prepared to defend our selves. I don’t like the thought of shooting someone, but I must protect my home and family. So it is time to go and by my semi-automatic gun with 10,000 rounds. This way, I have held them off until they get tired or the police show up.

My Role Playing Friends:

The masked figure sat in the edge of the forest watching the big man sharpen his axe. “So this is my target,” he thought. “One clean arrow would do this job quickly. But he didn’t have the OK to do it yet. There was something about all the pieces must be in place first.” Shifting slightly he continued to watch the man work. “So he came from an important family and was known for his skill as a fighter and leader. Right now he was just a large target no more smarter than a bale of hay before you launched an arrow into it.” The masked man moved back deeper into the woods as he prepared to make camp a few miles away. “I sure hope they give the word soon! I hear there is a band of gypsy’s passing by and that would liven any evening and bed up.”

Where have all the good role-players gone? Have they migrated to another world and started over or have they just given up? Perhaps, I should just put on my walk-about shoes and hunt them down. I sometimes feel like a large goatskin bag just swelling at the sides. Ready to role-play but can’t. From what I have seen, in most channels it is mostly role chatting. In some cases there was a bit of playing, but it seemed so shallow. No one was putting himself or herself into it in order to make their character come alive and seem as real as them. Oh well, perhaps that is why I dream .. I dream of a fantasy world that can’t exist.

Time to go to my favorite eating place --- El Agave.

No comments: