Thursday, September 01, 2005

Daily Thoughts - XVI

After spending so much time cleaning up after Ivan and Dennis, the memories are vivid when I see the Katrina pictures. I wish them the best in a speedy recovery. But I also know that the Ivan damage almost a year later is still being dealt with. The Dennis repairs have just really begun.

Another summer comes to a close. Where did it go? This fast pace life really makes me long for the slower life of retirement. I guess I have 2 years to go. Why? The #2 son is in Charleston WV with the Job Corp and he won’t return except for holidays until September 2007. Funny that he biggest fear was that we would move while he was gone. So to ease his fears, we agreed to not do anything about retirement until he completed his program.

Let me see. September holds the start of the Bowling leagues, several parties, a day at the ballpark watching the Orioles and Red Sox play. Somewhere I need to find a chance to return to Florida to finish up a couple of landscaping projects started during the Hurricane Dennis cleanup.

Since Hurricane Katrina there hasn’t been much news to rile me up. Seems some people put aside their attitudes and Issues to help others.

How quickly our morality breaks down when facing tough times like those in New Orleans. Perhaps this is a pointing finger at our lack of cultural morality in favor of personal morality. We have raised a whole generation with the idea they are #1 and anything to disrupt that is wrong. Church and the Bible mean nothing except an escape from reality. Sex and alcohol are bad only if you get caught or drop the bottle.

I heard a commentary today asking the question “why can’t women find a good man anymore?” In some ways that is an easy answer. First, they get what they want too easily. In some cases the woman pursues the man till he gives in. So why deal with responsibility and loyalty when sex is so easy to get. If she doesn’t like it, move on or get it on-line. Secondly, his worth in the family is being stripped away. Take away his self worth and it becomes too easy to walk out. I have personally listened to my sons lady friends say they can raise a child without a male in their life. Actually, they believe it will be less complicated and less stressful. It might be but look what is happening. Each sex was put here on earth with a purpose and part in a family unit. The way we are going Family units will become obsolete. As I watch the dynamics of mixed groups of young adults the lack of respect for each other becomes very evident. Just the language used to greet each other is degrading.

I was asked the other night by a friend what it takes to find a good man, one who would respect me. I wanted to speak the truth and say don’t be so easy, give respect and honor and ask for respect and honor, but I backpedaled and said “they are hard to find.”

Well, I should get off the soap box and make the commute home. Gee, my wallet feels lighter already and my car only needs 10 gallons. Hmmm, $5.00 a gallon, when does the economy break under this pressure?

No comments: