Sunday, February 19, 2006

Remembering Dad

The ceremony at the church on Saturday was a major roller coaster of emotion. It was pretty with all the colorful flowers. The service tugged at your heart at every turn. I spoke for a bit and managed to say what I had placed on the blog site without breaking down but Lord, it was hard.

So far through this whole ordeal what has pained me the most is not the loss of dad for I know he is better off and safe from harm, but the loss and pain of all his friends. My heart ached at the sight of their tears and pain. Dad was a friend that can't be replaced as he was one of those rare individuals that doesn't know a stranger and lived to serve everyone. I can't number the times many of the men told me, "What will I do now, your Dad as my best friend and confidant." I even at one point wanted to say, ""I will be back soon to try and pick up the slack." It is one thing when someone dies but when a godly man dies the impact is far reaching. Many a good man will now have to shoulder a greater burden but in my heart I think they will do great.

Today we visited the cemetery for the first time. It wasn't nearly as hard as yesterday was. Too our surprise Saturday, a full military honor guard was there. We had only expected a flag presenter and maybe have taps played. But they did the whole honors. They were good as they folder the flag with practiced skill and showmanship. The rifle salute was great as they used M-1's. These were rifles from the period that dad served. Almost everyone jumped at the first volley. But everyone had tears at the sound of taps. One of Dad's dreams was for the ceremony to include military honors.

The food was overwhelming but I am just chickened out. They brought it by the 100 piece boxes.

Tomorrow starts the long process of clearing up his personal affairs and getting mom setup to continue. It feels funny going through Dad's personal papers. Growing up it was unthinkable to do that. But it becomes my lot in life and I feel closer to him as I do.

Thank you to everyone. Your thoughts and prayers are deeply appreciated.

No comments: