Monday, February 27, 2006

And it marches on - Part 2

Well, the Death Certificate was finally signed today and then we scurried to get our copies. Getting the signature took us going to the Hospital Administrator and having a discussion. Actually it went well, nobody got beat up. Now all that is left is to get some answers from the doctor about what really happened that night.

Tomorrow is off to Hurlbert Field to get everything done at the Casualty Assistance Office. Tomorrow should prove to be long and busy as I get mom trained and get my packing done so I can leave Wednesday morning. Sunday night was tough as we went through Dad's clothes and sorted them out as to keepers or give aways. The memories some of the things brought back kept a few eyes damp and quite a few laughs for the less serious times. Tutu’s and leotards, hmmmmm! As usual we ran out of boxes and will have to get more. My brother and his family left for England and home today so that just leaves Michael and me. We are planning to leave Wednesday. While I hate to leave I also know I must. Carl and I will be back soon to take the power tools home that Dad gave him. And of course, bowling tournament is the end of March so I will be back through then for a day or two.

I am still amazed at the impact he had in so many lives. I am proud he made a difference and chose not just to pass through life. If I can just do a small part of what he did, I will be a success. Even today, 2 weeks later, many people wonder how they will fill the time he occupied in their life. Everywhere I go; people speak of how much he touched them. In some cases it was just a simple prayer, a smile and a hello or a joke. Every day I hear more of just how he served friends and those around him. Perhaps the most imposing thought is grasping what he did with his life and figuring out who will carry on the work he started. For God’s work will be done by someone … just who is the question.


Well, the Olympics are over and thank God it only took 2 weeks. Once again, our over hyped athletes’ performed in a less than an Olympic God fashion as predicted. In the pre-game hype we were fielding the best and strongest team ever and everyone else would be competing for silver in most sports. Well, needless to say, we wound just trying to stay in the top ten. Thanks to the super effort of the ones the press over looked, we managed to win with some respectability.

No comments: