Monday, January 18, 2010

Most Excellent Adventure - Day Twelve

Were do I begin. Sunday morning started out as any other morning this past week. Breakfast at 8 and then an hour waiting to get off the boat. The difference today was we were heading home. Once we disembarked and got all our a luggage into the trailer we headed Northwest to take Wild Mom home. Dragging our bags to the opposite end of the docks is always an adventure. We headed out across Alligator Alley and boy did it live up to its name. There were a lot of them. Sometimes there were a dozen all basking on the shoreline. For some 60+ miles they lined the shore with only brief patches where they didn't lay next to another. They are very black in color and easy to spot. We did not get to see any moving ... guess it was nap time. We kept seeing one black bird that would sit on the branch with it wings out stretched and its mouth wide open. Was he trying to be lazy and let the bugs fly in? I will have to some research on that one. We finally managed to get a few pictures of the gators though we did not get very close. I made sure TL was always between them and me. I know I can out run her. We then turned north on I-75 and headed to our overnight spot in Lake City Fl. We even managed to see a wild pig and her piglets walking along the side of the interstate. Hope she doesn't cross the road or someone will be buying a new car. Green Giant, TL and HDTech remained there while Lady and I took Wild Mom home. That was a long side trip. I-10 is nothing but woods for some 280 miles. Add darkness, wind and rain and it is pretty boring at times. While at Wild Mom's, some 2 hours, we managed to chat, fix the antivirus program and her email working on her desktop and then get about 90 minutes of a power nap before heading back. We finally returned to Lake City 12 hours later after an all night drive. We dodged all the deer and wounded a possum. The trip to Milton Fl was named the Possum Run since I saw plenty of them ... had to be over 2 dozen over that stretch. The deer were also abundant but luckily none of them decided to race across in front of me.

No comments: