Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Hopes


Another year has passed and it is Thanksgiving once again and Christmas is just around the corner.  The way the stores and TV adds carry on, you would think Christmas is the NEXT holiday.  I wrestle each year just how to express my thoughts without embarrassing anyone.

Ronda, where do I even start!  I would have to agree that any success this year goes through her.  I couldn't even begin to understand life without her.  She is always there, puts up with my idiosyncrasies and habits, some good and some bad. She is fun to be with and I can't wait to share the next adventure with her.  Life is so much easier to deal with when there are two of you working together.

Mom, you are amazing and I just can't find the time or ways to say thanks for all you have done for me.  Now as we do this genealogy stuff you are a great partner and sounding board to some of my half baked theories on the family.  I look forward to every time we get together, even for the smallest period of time.

I have intentionally not specifically addressed anyone else because Murphy's Law says I will miss someone and then all heck will follow.  But I will talk generically.

I am proud of every child in my life.  I wish for more and accept a lot less.  I wish I could change many things but unless we both want it, it will never happen or last.  Have I made mistakes?  Yes, I will be the first to admit that simple fact. I wish sometimes that a simple thank you for helping would be expressed or a simple promise be kept but I know we are human and we take many things for granted or forget.  Each child is special and each contributes to our life differently, I wish we all saw that and valued family and connection more than a game of 1-upsmanship.  But I have to accept that cruel fact of nature that we aren't happy unless we are made to feel better or more important than someone else.  For me, every child is the most important and best ... and that won't change in my eyes and heart.  So any attempts just sadden me.

I hope this year that everyone receives the most important gift you could ever receive.  What is it?  I don't know but I know something does exist that will mean the most to you and touch you the deepest.

As usual, I ask for no gifts.  In the spirit of the Advent Conspiracy, if you must spend money or shop ... do it for someone that really needs it ... make a difference in someones life.  I just desire the most precious of commodities ... a moment of your time, face to face.

I love each one of you and cherish every moment of time you are in my life.

No comments: